Cooperative Baptists follow congregational polity, which means that churches and ministers are free to follow the leadership of the Spirit, without outside influence, when it comes to issues of call and employment. Even so, most churches and ministers need assistance in searching for staff and new places of service. CBFNC is a trusted resource for churches and ministers when invited to help meet this need. All CBFNC staff and leaders are involved in this work, but the following serve as CBFNC’s Ministerial Transitions Team:
- Larry Hovis, Executive Coordinator, provides overall leadership to this team.
- Seth Hix, Ministerial Transitions Consultant, oversees the Reference and Referral database and coordinates communication between ministers, churches and CBFNC leaders
- Jim Hylton, Business Administration Coordinator, provides resources related to ministerial compensation, personnel policies, tax and financial issues.
- Ka’thy Gore Chappell, Leadership Development Coordinator, gives targeted assistance to upcoming or recent divinity school students.
- Ministerial Transitions Facilitators (to the right) provide direct support to ministers and search committees, as outlined below.
Ministers in Transition
When ministers discern the need to find a new place of service, CBFNC can help in the following ways:
Churches in Ministerial Transition
When a church experiences a ministerial vacancy (pastor or staff), CBFNC offers the following services:
- Options for the Interim – CBFNC Transition Facilitators are available to meet with church leaders to help them discern the right approach to the interim pastorate for the church at this point in time. There is no charge for this service.
- Training for Search Committees – Ministerial search processes are more complex than ever. Once search committees are formed, CBFNC Transition Facilitators are available to meet with the committee to provide initial training in current trends, challenges and best practices. There is no charge for this service.
- Coaching for Search Committees – Some search committees determine that their work would be better served by establishing a relationship with a coach who will walk with through the entire process. CBFNC Transition Facilitators provide this service for a fee to search committees. Limited financial assistance is available from CBFNC.
- Sharing of resumes of prospective ministers. There is no charge for this service.